Getting back into painting with a little Norman Rockwell masters study. It’s quite rough with most of the time focused on the face, I’ll leave this study where it is, but as a critique…
- I should of pushed the reds on the left hand side of the face
- Start with building up the planes of the face as more graphic colour blocks before moving on, would of saved me quite a bit of time.
- Allow for more subtle use of colour, it’s very clear I’ve been too heavy handed with laying down colours with too distinct a value difference which is a clear give away to an amateur attempt.
- I need to work on laying down more confident brush strokes with clear intent, it’s most noticeable in the hair that the brush strokes aren’t following the contour of the hair and so aren’t reinforcing the form.
- give some more depth to the left side of the face as it recedes into shadow.
- I know the proportions are clearly out in a lot of places, but I wanted this to be primarily a painting study and less a drawing exercise
I thought I’d also include the brushes I used for this study as well, they’re nothing special, everything was done mostly with one simple brush, occasionally swapping to a more textured mark when I felt like throwing down a bit of texture in places, which was just a little test and for the study itself wasn’t actually necessary.